When I first gave up heroin, I could never tell myself it was forever

Nuthin But Flav celebrates the heroic efforts of those who seek the addiction and mental health help they need without feeling ashamed or isolated.




I woke up last week to the radio playing quietly. I got ready for the trek to the other end of the house to wake up the kid. The 7:30am news came on. I was still sleepy. "The actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman is dead." I was only half listening. I'd seen his work but have never been one to pay much attention to famous personalities or celebrities. "He was forty-six." That caught half my attention – the same age as me. "From a heroin overdose." There I was, sitting on the edge of my bed with a syringe full of heroin in my hand.

All at once I felt a kindred with someone I had never known. I knew a couple of characters he'd played, I knew his name, but that was it. Now suddenly, he was a lot like me.

When you're addicted to heroin, it's generally a long-running, close relationship. There are plenty of bad times, but there are also gems that stay with you. It's like family – a parent, sibling or child. You may swear that for all they've put you through, you never want anything to do with them again, but there's always that part of you that misses the good times and wonders how you'd get along now. When I first gave up heroin, I could never tell myself it was forever. I could not imagine never entering that cosy cocoon again.
                                                                                         Linda: still using, Geelong, Australia
 
"No one sets out to be a heroin addict. It's not a lifestyle choice"
 
 
I was a high-profile model and intravenous heroin addict. I copped on the street. Heroin doesn't discriminate. It is unbearably wonderful for surpressing pain and generating a false sense of well-being. I loved heroin. Addicts who say "I hate heroin" are lying to themselves. We wouldn't stick needles in our arms daily if we didn't love the way it made us feel. But when it wears off, you're in a hole so big its impossible to climb out. No one sets out to be a heroin addict. It's not a lifestyle choice.
                                                                    Janice: six years clean, Middletown, New Jersey, US
 

Toddler trying to revive unconscious mother after drug overdose (Distressing footage)

 Police in Lawrence, Massachusetts have released heartbreaking footage of a toddler trying to awaken her mother after she passed out from an apparent drug overdose in the toy aisle of a discount store.

If you are an addict you are either using, clean
or dead. There is nothing in between
 
 
I have been clean for six years and wish never to return, but drugs are never far away. For me using is like my default setting. I had been clean for about two years and my father had a stroke. I had a wobble as I felt so helpless and needed the support of a bit of gear. I felt so shit the next time I went to see him I knew I couldn't use again. He needed me more than I needed the gear.
 
                                                                                                 Gary: six years clean, Ipswich, UK
 
 
 
Need Help Understanding Your Addiction Treatment Options? Call 1-877-856-4140.
 

Comments